- Start of the project : 01-03-19
- End of project : 31-08-23
InteGRated systems for Effective ENvironmEntal Remediation
The increase in chemical pollution is seriously compromising the health of ecosystems and human beings around the world. Dangerous compounds such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, heavy metals and emerging pollutants are contaminating soil/sediment, groundwater and surface water. In order to prevent and reduce the risks associated with the accumulation of these chemicals in water and soil, it is essential to establish cost-effective and environmentally sound methodologies for the treatment and remediation of contaminated areas.
GREENER proposes the development of innovative, efficient and low-cost hybrid solutions that integrate bioremediation and technologies with bio-electrochemical systems (BES). BES, such as microbial fuel cells, break down organic contaminants through the action of electroactive bacteria while generating an electric current.
Objectives and missions of Materia Nova
Within the consortium, Materia Nova carries out:
- The bioremediation of soil and water polluted by precious/heavy metals and the production of metallic nanoparticles by microorganisms.
- The construction of bacterial consortiums for the bioremediation of soil and water.
- The identification of soil bacteria and potential pathogens.
- The technical and economic analysis of the solutions developed in the framework of the project on a pilot scale.
- Life cycle analysis (LCA) of the technologies developed in Greener for the treatment of polluted water and soil.