- Start of the project : 01-06-16
- End of project : 31-05-18
General objectives of the project:
(1) Enable the efficient use of Cu, Fe and Al in laser beam melting (LBM) and 3D printing of metal powders (M3DP)
(2) Improve the processability of Cu in LBM processes and Fe/Al in M3DP processes, using surface modification (e.g. application of a protective layer) and therefore to improve the quality of the built parts in terms of density, surface roughness, resistance, etc.
(3) At a reasonable and market-oriented price
Objectives and missions of Materia Nova
Within the consortium, Materia Nova will carry out the development of powdered materials of Cu, Fe and Al. Materia Nova has demonstrated the interest of 3D printing by LASER by making a titanium core-shell around its grains. Indeed, materials such as copper, which are highly reflective with respect to the wavelength of the LASER, limit the melting process and therefore the use of these powders in additive manufacturing. It has been demonstrated that a thin layer of titanium, representing a maximum of 1 percent by weight of the powder, improves the absorption of the LASER from 22% to more than 85%. This improves absorption efficiency, intensifies the melting process and allows higher processing speeds.