Mechanical surface resistance (wear, scratch and impact)
Our laboratory has several tribological measurement tools to monitor wear and friction of coatings or technical materials under difficult operating conditions such as high temperatures, high humidity, high loads and high relative speeds. We can perform measurements according to standardized procedures - including: ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials), DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung) and ISO (International Organization for Standardization).
Performance measurement and study and characterization of wear type and mechanisms.
(standards and equipment tests)
- Resistance of a dry paint film to surface scratches by pencil hardness test (ISO 15154 15184)
- SHORE and ROCKWELL hardness measurements consist in evaluating the resistance of thermoplastics and elastomers to the penetration of an indentor applied to the surface (ISO 868, ISO 7619 and ASTM D785)
- Resistance of a dry paint film to scratching with a defined force up to 20N (ISO 1518)
- Resistance of a dry paint film to impact: cracking or peeling of its substrate when subjected to deformation caused by a falling mass, dropped under standardized conditions (ISO 6272)
- Resistance of a dry paint film to cracking and/or delamination of a metal substrate by stamping with a ballpoint punch (ISO 1520)
- Wear resistance of a dry paint film: abrasion, brushability, washability (ISO 11998)
- IZOD impact resistance measurements according to ISO 180
- Materia Nova offers not only tests to evaluate the effects of mechanical degradation but also improvement solutions through a wide range of surface treatments according to the type of wear and the desired level of performance.
- We adapt our testing programs to the specific requirements of our customers, whether for standard tests or to develop a protocol adapted to a particular application.