- Start of the project : 01-07-16
- End of project : 31-12-20
Implementation of lightened bio-sourced high performance composites for structural applications in the transport sector.
The BIOCOMPAL project aims at developing new light bio-based high-performance and low-carbon-footprint materials by a very high added value valorisation of regional agricultural and forest biomass for structural applications in the transport sector (aeronautics, railways, etc.) whose industries are well established in the INTERREG zone.
The objectives pursued can be summarized as follows:
- Production of innovative high-performance thermosetting resins based on renewable natural phenols;
- Development of new designs for high-performance textile reinforcements based on natural and technical fibres from local agricultural flax crops;
- Development of a low carbon footprint composite implementing and shaping process using the compounds developed;
- Production of a demonstrator to validate the project’s approach.
The implementation of the BIOCOMPAL project requires the indispensable cooperation of 4 complementary expertises from both sides of the regional borders, namely:
- In Wallonia, know-how in the design and development of new high-performance bio-based polymeric resins from the synthesis to the formulation of MATERIA NOVA;
- In Flanders, INAGRO’s choice and mastery of the cultivation and preparation of natural fibres and CENTEXBEL’s expertise in the design and manufacture of textile reinforcements;
- In France, ARMINES Douai’s mastery of the implementation and shaping processes of composites and their modelling.
Objectives and missions of Materia Nova
Within the consortium, Materia Nova will carry out the synthesis and formulation of matrices for composites.